Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What would you do if it's 110 degrees F outside?

As if I don't already spend very little time with the SO, after spending Friday night celebrating an old friend's birthday, a group of friends and I headed off to Palm Springs to go frolic on a guy's weekend. Basically it involved drinking, gambling and golfing in no particular order of priority/preference. 

For those of you not familiar with Palm Springs, it's a fairly large city about 140 miles east of Los Angeles. Now, given the number of vacationers and golfers who go to Palm Springs you'd think it was some sort of tropical paradise. Well, it's a great resort city but it's got its downsides. The average temperature in June is 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). That's the average temperature. Not the all time record high. Not the how hot does it have to be before things spontaneously combust. It's the average. Perfect weather to play 18 holes of golf but I can't complain it was a great weekend. 


Anyways, as usual, pictorial tour. 














What's a good road trip without some Notorious B.I.G. No-No-Notorious. 



Miraculously, there were still some snow in the mountains. Be careful when you say snowball's chance in hell. 














Watching the US versus Ghana World Cup game. Agonizing to watch the defeat especially with how inspiring the US played throughout the Group play portion of the 2010 World Cup. I have high hopes for the future of US Soccer. Then again they said the same thing about *insert fad XXXX here* and look how that turned out. 














Starting the Saturday off at the Greg Normal course. 


















































Looking out from the tee box. 

















Perfectly manicured greens. Remember that we're in the middle of the desert and it's about 102 at this point. 

















The course was challenging. I played golf a lot when I was a kid but by the time I was in high school I barely played. These are excuses to offset what will be pictured in a bit. 






































I love the beach. 






















These days some golf courses have a GPS system that allows you to see the yardage, topography of the green and location of the other carts in front and behind you. Pretty nifty. The yardage just reminded me how little I moved the ball even after 8 strokes. 

















The "desert".


We played another round on Sunday and uhh yeah higher score is better right?














My golf shoes crapped out after 9 holes on Sunday. That thing was flapping away for the remainder of the round. Maybe that's why I shot over 100. To add another excuse we were playing from the blues. In the above scorecard that would be the white.






















The par 3 16th hole. I think I actually managed to bogey this hole. That I didn't lose 10 balls just on this hole was a win for me. 

















View of the Dunes course. Palm Springs is the epitome of American excess. Hey let's build a city full of golf courses and giant homes in the middle of the desert. Water and money can fix anything. It's almost like Robitussin.















Got this pic of the temperature outside on the way back. Granted, the car had been sitting outside all day but it's more or less accurate. At least it felt like it was 116 but it was a dry heat *sarcasm*.














So after a weekend away from the SO I'm welcomed back home by a wonderful Sunday dinner.














Roast chicken, string beans, rice pilaf and cornbread. The SO is from the Southeast but it's Southeast Asia not Southeast US. I think the fact that we're missing gravy is the differentiating factor between the two. 

















As the obedient fiance I ate everything on my plate and had seconds. All in all a solid weekend. Only 10 more left in LA. 


No comments:

Post a Comment