Sunday, April 1, 2012

Japanning

I took a 2 week hiatus on blogging due to my infatuation with my iPad. At first I thought it was just OK and not very revolutionary but after playing around with it for a couple of weeks I've realized how much easier it is to browse the web and do the day-to-day internet stuff on the iPad. The downside of the iPad is that it really makes blogging hard due to the lack of a true keyboard. But, I'm thinking I'll keep the laptop next to my bed so that blogging will be a nighttime right before bed activity. Well right before the other bedtime activity, if you know what I mean. Watching TV. Anyways, back to Japan. Three more days of pics left. 



The Japanese have gotten better at their English. I was quite surprised at the proficiency of a lot of the people in Japan. The heightened proficiency apparently did not apply to this beverage maker. 

He's my favorite comedian in Japan. Yes, I know it doesn't help the stereotype of Japanese people. 

Our plan for the day was to visit the temple Zenkoji and Matsumoto Castle. First, Zenkoji. 

The demons designed to ward off evil spirits. 

The sign supposedly has a bunch of cows and a sparrow in it. I could only find the cow. Can you find all the animals?

Zenkoji dates back to the 7th century and is quite an impressive temple. The Japanese aren't Nazi sympathizers, well they used to be but not anymore. Those reverse swastikas are Buddhist symbols.  

The smoke is supposed to help heal injuries, illness and improve mental health. I'm sure the tobacco company wants some of that advertising. 
After the temple my cousin took us to an awesome Soba restaurant. The Nagano prefecture is very well known for their soba so we made sure to have it as much as possible. 














Macarons at a spice store. I was kinda confused because this store is known for their seven spice pepper powder. Say that ten times fast without starting to talk like Daffy Duck. 


The Japanese are just massive fatties. Every tourist destination is chock full of stores that sell food and snacks. I'm amazed we're not morbidly obese. 

The afternoon was spent at Matsumoto Castle. There are only about 20 original castles still in existence in Japan. Matsumoto Castle is one of those and is considered a national heritage site. 


Even though these castles are fortified battle zones they are still amazingly beautiful places. 

Whole armies in Japan consisted of armed soldiers. The gun was quite commonplace on the Japanese battleground and were typically used by the infantry.  

Inside the castle. Similar to European castles, these were last stand fortresses so areas like this would be used to hunker down and pepper the incoming enemy with gunfire, arrows and hot tar. 

All while viewing the pretty sights outside. The Japanese are bipolar people. 

Can't overbuild anything. 














Japanese version of the gargoyle. Still ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment