Sunday, June 17, 2012

Guest Post 'Gravanza

After reading one too many rants about 90s nostalgia and zombies, I decided to give the readers a break and write a guest blog. If you've been an avid reader, you probably picture me as this overweight, food eating machine but on the contrary, I am a rather petite Vietnamese gal. I have no idea how I became such a foodie but it may be due to the generations of my people being deprived of meaty cows


and non-dog proteins that justify my current eating habits. I admit that I like to eat, but more than that I love the eating experience. So I'd like to share with you my most memorable food adventures.

Tiramisu in Tuscany. It was the summer right after college when a group of friends decided to embark on a month long tour through western Europe. Being unemployed at the time, we hosteled it.


Safe to say that'll never happen again.

Since it was such a beautiful day we decided to do a bike tour through the vineyards of Tuscany.

We drank wine along the way, but don't worry helmets were worn for safe measure.


Halfway through our tour we passed a farmer who for some reason was waving his hands vigorously at us. We cast him off as a crazy Italian and kept riding. Soon enough, the skies darkened and we got pelted with hail. We quickly sought refuge (please excuse the altered photo).


Sorry Italian farmer, we should have paid more attention to your hand waving.

Our guide finally came around with the van and we headed to lunch at a nearby restaurant. We were given a quick tour including the cheese and wine cellar.


Then it was time to eat. The real treat was the tiramisu dessert. However this was unlike any tiramisu I've ever tasted. You know, the super breaded lady fingers, stuffed with mascarpone cheese, topped with so much cocoa that you always tend to breath it in and makes you cough a little.


This Tiramisu was a loose custard. It was so rich and creamy, with just the right amount of sweetness from the grated chocolate on top.


The story goes that tiramisu was developed by Sienese pastry chefs in the late 1600s to honor Grand Duke Cosimo III De'Medici, who was known for his sweet tooth. It was especially popular among his courtesans, who took to calling it tiramisu or "pick me up." Nothing better than some pudding before intercourse. Then when mascarpone came into fashion, it evolved into what we know it as today. Hey, if the original was good enough for the duke, it is good enough for me. Anyway, fashion is so overrated.



Stay tuned for more food adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment