Monday, January 24, 2011

Call me MacGyver

I'm a broke grad student. My meager savings have provided for my existence and has been supplemented by handouts from others. To them I owe a debt of gratitude and lots of money. 

I am also really cheap. I like to think of it more that I am a financial problem solver. Coming up with inexpensive options for certain things. My laptop is a perfect example of this. I've been burned by refurbished items before but did that stop me from saving 300 bucks and buying a refurbished Dell? Of course not. Did it end up biting me in the ass? Of course it did. 

So I've been having hard drive issues, webcam issues and other minor technical glitches. These all came about almost the exact second my laptop was out of warranty. I figured out a way to resolve each issue so now I have a semi functional laptop. 

Two days ago my laptop screen went all funky. It would only work if I applied pressure to one section of the screen. I guess it's an electrical contact issue or something but this was pretty detrimental to my laptop using capabilities. All I needed was something that could push down one side of the screen a little bit. So I came up with this contraption using a carabiner and stack of post it notes. 



   












Pretty soon I'm gonna figure out a way to make a laptop out of some matches, baking soda and a tennis ball. 

No comments:

Post a Comment