Monday, January 17, 2011

Like a phoenix this blog rises from the ashes.

So now that I finally feel settled in Ann Arbor I figure it's time for the RETURN OF THE BLOG!!!! Aren't you excited to read more meaningless dribble and bad puns? I am. So to kick start the new year and the blog here's a pun for you.

So over Christmas break I tried to catch some fog......



Mist.

Thank you! And now on to more serious stuff. My break was quite busy. I flew out from Barcelona on the 16th of December, arrived in JFK on the 17th, barely made it onto my flight to Vegas ( I had to beg the guy to let me on the plane because I was late checking in my bags) and arrived in beautiful Las Vegas around midnight on the 17th. Met up with the SO, who flew in from LA, at our lovely hotel, The Bellagio.    














Every season, the Bellagio atrium has a special theme for their garden. This year it was gigantic golden balls.














and bears.


















Okay fine it was a Christmas theme.

The 19th we flew back to LA. Actually strike that. We were supposed to fly back to LA but wonderful US Airways decided to delay our flight to about 7pm for no apparent reason other than that US Airways blows fat rhino balls. I hope that comes up on a Google Search. To facilitate the connection between US Airways and fat rhino balls.....US Airways sucks FAT RHINO BALLS. There we go. Anyways, so my birthday was on the 19th and we had to be at the restaurant by 8:30pm to meet all of our friends. The good thing is that we found out about our delay around 11:30am. So the SO and I frantically searched for alternatives. We settled upon driving back from Vegas to LA by renting a car and doing a 1-way rental. It actually ended up being cheaper than flying. More convenient? No. More cheaper? Yes. English grammar? Horrible.   














So we made it to the restaurant on time. It was a restaurant/hotel called O Bar | Kitchen.
 
Our prix fixe meal. Decent food. No food pics because it will all pale in comparison to the birthday cake I got. 


How freaking awesome is this! It's a Delorean cake. The SO found a cake maker that could take a picture of something and then create the cake version of  it. I was so amazed at how awesome this thing was. Best. Cake. Ever. Oh yea. I'm 30. 30 is the new 20. 30 is the new 20...

After gluttonous eating and holiday partying in LA. The SO and I flew to NYC to spend time with my parents. Our first big dinner out we all went to Per Se. I had to make the reservation 6 weeks in advance. Ridiculous. Little background on Per Se. Run by Thomas Keller of French Laundry fame, it's one of only seven restaurants in the US to be awarded a 3 star Michelin. The SO and I have been wanting to go ever since we read Waiter Rant. You'll have to excuse the pics. Per Se had a no flash policy and it was very romantically lit aka dark. 

A quick inside shot before we got barraged by the sommelier, waiter, bus boys, etc. 

Mr. Keller's very famous "OYSTERS AND PEARLS "
"Sabayon" of Pearl Tapioca with Island Creek Oysters 
and Sterling White Sturgeon Caviar

SALAD OF BIG ISLAND HEARTS OF PALM 
Black Winter Truffle Glaze, 
Bartlett Pears and Watercress


BUTTER POACHED NOVA SCOTIA LOBSTER 
"Pommes Écrasées," Trumpet Royale Mushroom, 
Petite Onions and Béarnaise Mousseline 



My favorite fancy dish. 
TERRINE OF HUDSON VALLEY MOULARD DUCK FOIE GRAS 
Slow Roasted Ruby Beets, Sour Cherries, Sunchoke Relish, 
Compressed Belgian Endive and Aged Balsamic Vinegar 



HERB ROASTED ELYSIAN FIELDS FARM’S LAMB
Anson Mills’ Polenta Cake, Caramelized Green Garlic, 
Heirloom Carrots and Braised Swiss Chard 


Dessert 1

Dessert 2

Dessert 3














Dessert 4

So I realized I missed taking pics of some of the dishes. It was a 9 course tasting menu plus other stuff thrown in so it was definitely filling. Was it worth the price and wait? Mmmm. To be honest, no. I was actually more impressed with the food at L'Atelier, which was profiled in our summer Vegas post. Oh well. At least we can now say we've been to Per Se and my dad can add this meal to the "Why I will never have another son and why is the current one so goddamn expensive" list. I love you Dad. 

The shops at Columbus Circle had some very cool lighting. 















The next day I took the SO to Eataly. Mario Batali's new Italian food emporium. It's an Italian food lover's dream market. Has all kinds of imported goods, baked bread, fresh produce, a tapas area, 4 restaurants, gelateria, and espresso bar. 

It's usually pretty packed with locals and tourists. We went for lunch at 2 and were told the wait for the pizza place was 1 hour. We didn't have much else to do that day so wandered around the market. 


Breads.

Meats. 


Finally got seated at the restaurant so we ordered Antipasti...


and shared a pizza. We were trying to be "healthy". 


The place is spectacular and I highly recommend visiting in you are around the Madison Square Park area.

And now I'm off to Ross' Japanese Business Assocation and Chinese Business Assocation's Hot Pot Party. The hot pot will help warm my frozen body considering it's 23F degrees but feels like 10F. Yay Midwest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment