Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Home sweet empty home

I suggested to the SO (still applicable since a wife is also an SO) that we could live with my parents to save money. This was said jokingly, but the thought of all that extra cash from no rent did make me think for a half second longer than I should that this could be a good idea. Needless to say, this idea was rejected by the SO and my parents, who are desperate to get me out of the apartment. 

Anyways, to appease everyone, I've been apartment hunting for the past three months. The criteria was 1) the building was nice, 2) the location was good 3) open floor plan 4) floor to ceiling windows 5) washer and dryer. In NYC, this leaves about 3 buildings. Of these 3 buildings, 3 were out of our price range. So the weekend apartment hunts went pretty much nowhere till I found a building that I liked. But, once again the unit I wanted was a bit out of our price range. I noticed a particular unit, which I liked had been sitting unrented for about 3 months. The SO suggested I see if they'd negotiate. I thought "Noo. This is NYC. Demand is sky high." Well, as with a lot of things, the SO was right. Got an email the day after our wedding saying that they'd lower the price to something that's within our budget. Kinda. 

So last night I signed the lease papers, handed over the checks and obtained the keys to.....


















our new apartment. Guests will be welcomed through this front door. So white and square.


The living room and kitchen where I hope to regale guests with awesome puns and boring historical trivia. Did you know that...


 View of the living room and the entrance to the bedroom.


The "designer" kitchen. Uh yeah so lots of granite and some stainless steel makes anything designer these days.


Full size refrigerator. To be stocked with lots of beer and cheese. We like cheese.


View from our living room at night. The apartment faces south so should have a good amount of natural light. The natural light will hopefully make the place feel a bit bigger than the 730 sq. foot that it actually is.

As of now we have no furniture and we won't have furniture till probably about November so the move will take some time to complete but at least it's a start. Now the SO just has to get to NYC. Until then...bachelor pad!!!

1 comment: