Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gobble Gobble in NYC

I've been blessed to have been able to spend Thanksgiving in different countries and different cities throughout my life. This first Thanksgiving in NYC made me feel so thankful for my life and those loved ones that surround me and could be my all-time favorite Thanksgiving.  

After three weeks of buying furniture, decorating and painting our apartment is finally close to feeling like our home. Because of that we decided to have my parents as our first guests to our apartment and to celebrate Thanksgiving. 

 










Before we even got to the turkey we spent half of Wednesday prepping for the big day. The SO tasked me with the turkey prep and cooking so I knew I couldn't screw this up. A bad turkey on Thanksgiving is like rain  on your wedding day, a free ride when you've already paid. That song never made sense to me. 

I had to flip the bird multiple times to get the sucker lubed up properly. 


















Our selection of wines for the big feast. The top Primitui Priorat wine was what we drank and it was absolutely amazing. Thanks to my groomsmen DL for the wine. 


















Giacomo may be the best impulse buy I've ever made. He doesn't mind having a hand stuck up his butt. Because he's a puppet you sick freaks. 












Our back wall. It's an "accent wall", according to the SO. That couch becomes a full size sleeper so all guests are welcome.


















The wall color was called blue smoke. I was told not to call it purple. 


















We have a small alcove which the SO is supposed to use as an office. She calls it the cave and pouts when I tell her to use it like we had set it up for. 


It's not Thanksgiving without the Lions on TV. 

The table all set and ready to go for the feasting. 

My dad checking out the living room. NYC living forces you to consolidate all social areas into about 100sq feet. 
I really like our place because it's good for entertaining. Most people end up hanging out in the kitchen. Now everyone can hang out in the kitchen, dining area and living room because it's all right on top of each other. 

Our first course was shrimp cocktail and fig/mascarpone in a filo dough pastry. 

 Salad and shrimp cocktail. Salad courtesy of the parents. 

Loved this wine. 

Awwww yeah. 

The full spread. From closest to farthest: Mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, string beans with bacon, turkey and honey glazed carrots, mac and cheese. 

Mmm..


I really tried to eat more but I was stuffed. We barely put a dent in all the sides and we had half a turkey left but that just means more leftovers for us. The fatties will feast for days!


















After the main course it was time to set up the mood lighting for dessert. 














The sunset was beautiful. I love the view from our place. The tall lit up tower to the right is the Freedom Tower aka 1 World Trade Center.  


















Fruit trifle that the SO made. Probably my favorite dessert of all time. I don't even like dessert and I loved this dish. My dad actually took some home and made a milkshake out of this. I wasn't sure if I should be appalled by his laziness and awed by his genius. 

That concluded the first annual Thanksgiving hosted by the SO and myself. I'd say it was a success but I can't take credit for anything. I just basted the turkey. Partly because I like saying basted. Master baster. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment