Monday, January 4, 2010

I'm still full - Part 2

So I forgot that the layout of my posts is new posts first so I'll have to restate the last sentence of my last post to maintain continuity.

Speaking of giving up....

On the 30th the SO and I went to check out the riveting matchup between Tri-State area basketball titans the New Jersey Nets and the New York Knicks. Who am I kidding. The Nets, as of 1/4/10, have a record of 3 wins and 30 losses and the Knicks aren't much better with 14 wins and 20 losses. Really we only went to see the game because we had nothing better to do and my dad had tickets.














Really it should be called the IDOZ center. Get it? I-Doz. There's gotta be at least 3 of you who thought that was remotely funny so I'll consider that mission accomplished.














We had some really good seats and the view was spectacular. I'm talking about the view of the court, not the view of the dancers you perverts.














The Knicks and the Nets combined put in about 80% effort. I swear most of the plays were dribble, dribble, pass, 19 foot jump shoot. I grew up watching my hometown team, the Lakers. I swear every game was played with tons of energy and it really seemed as though they put in 100%; from 80's Showtime era Lakers, mid-90s Van Exel/Eddie Jones/Elden Campbell era Lakers, Kobe/Shaq-Kobe/Gasol era Lakers.  If you ever watch Kobe play you know he never slacks off. It could be some game against the Hawks in January and he'd still be yelling at everyone, Fisher taking charges and Pau doing his best impression of angry llama.













By the way, Google is amazing. I couldn't figure out what animal Gasol resembled so I typed in "Pau Gaso looks like" and it suggested llama. Bingo, llama it is.














Of course we had some stadium food. Not pictured is the hot dog, large tub of popcorn and beers we had. I disgust me sometimes too. Just sometimes.














The excitement in the crowd was palpable. Well, something was palpable. It might have been my beer burps.














Nets 104 - Knicks 95. The Knicks totally gave up in the last two minutes of this game. I would too if my best player was David Lee. Anyways, as much bashing I've done about the actual game it was still great to go to a basketball game. I don't think I've ever sat this close to the floor and it's really quite an experience to hear the squeak of the shoes and the coaches yelling at the players.














Woke up on New Year's Eve with some snow on the ground and temperatures in the mid 20's. So what to do to combat the cold and prepare for New Year's Eve?














Five Guys Burger and large fries. Don't worry I had a a Diet Coke with my 1400 calorie lunch. You think I'm joking about the 1400 calories. Nope. NYC has implemented a law that states that any restaurant chain with 15 outlets or more nationwide must post calorie information on their menus. So when ordering, I knew that my cheeseburger was 700 calories and my large fries was 1400 calories (split between SO and I). Thus, grand total for lunch 1400 calories.

Side note: 2/3 of Americans over 20 y/o are overweight and 1/3 of Americans over 20 are obese. I am doing my best to be part of that statistic.














Well, not everything we do involves periods of inactivity. We actually went ice skating in Central Park in the afternoon. My SO kept questioning me if I was having fun because I wouldn't smile. Dammit woman I am not smiling because I am not about to fall on my ass on the hard ice. I grew up in Los Angeles. Ice is something that chills our drinks not something you are supposed to glide over while laced into medieval slicing weapon turned sporting footwear.

Anyways, for our NYE celebration we joined up with my classmate from ESADE who was visiting her sister and partied at her friend's apartment. It was great fun. It was also a nice reminder of how ESADE has brought all of us together when explaining to others how I, a Socal kid, met my classmate from Canada/Houston in Barcelona and how we are all visiting relatives in NYC. I know that previous sentence was full of grammatical errors but I'm too lazy to re-word/re-phrase it. Proper grammar is getting thrown out the windows these days anyways. I mean look at this tagline from Step Up 2 the Streets.


 















"It's not where you're from. It's where you're at." Maybe it's my fault for looking to Step Up 2 the Streets for proper grammar but, that is just egregious. Why do I know the tagline for Step Up 2 the Streets? You guys should know me by now. Damn another tangent. How many was that? 2? Okay back to NYE.



We were surprised with some cake at the end of our NYE celebration. Ring in the New Year with tons of sugar! My kind of party.


















New Year's morning was spent eating traditional Japanese osechi-ryori. Since I'm too lazy to explain what that is here's the wikipedia article. Osechi Ryori






We ended New Years watching Avatar in 3-D. They gave you these Buddy Holly looking glasses to watch it in 3-D.  The movie was spectacular. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though the story is basically Pocahontas. *Spoiler Alert*

























Last day with the SO so we went to go watch the Rockettes and their Christmas Spectacular. It was totally a last minute decision but we thought why not.














It kinda kills the whole Christmas spectacle when you're watching in January 2nd. I'm sure even Santa was thinking "WTF. Why am I still working?" I'll recommend people go see this in December.


















Exterior shot of Radio City. Why did I bother typing that description? Why am I talking to myself in my blog posts now. Time to conclude this massive post.

So, that was pretty much the bulk of my break. I'm spending the last couple of days running last minute errands and getting ready to head back to Barcelona. Back to life. Back to reality. Take it away Soul II Soul...


No comments:

Post a Comment