Thursday, November 19, 2009

For the sake of charity?


















So you just spent 3 seconds scanning the picture above. Notice anything? The t-shirt? Gift from the SO. I definitely am not huge in Japan. I'm very average-sized. The color brown doesn't suit my skin tone? Sorry Isaac Mizrahi. That moustache? Well thank you for noticing.

The month of November has been combined with moustaches to birth Movember. What is Movember you ask? From Movember.com  It's an actual charity event.

"Movember (the month formerly known as November) is a moustache growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for men's health." In the US donations will be split between the Prostate Cancer Foundation and the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

In the spirit of Movember a group of us at ESADE have donated money to the event and have been growing out the 'staches since November 1st. Some have had to clean up due to interviews or meetings but the spirit lives on.

While it is fun to participate in an event like this there are some huge major drawbacks to rocking a 'stache. In no particular order:
  1. It is itchy as hell. Damn hairs tickle my nose and I can feel the extra weight of the hairs. I have no idea how those Neanderthals did it but I'm sure they had more things to worry about like killing Mastodons or avoiding death via tar pits. 
  2. Public perception is significantly altered. Have you ever been walking behind someone and then had that someone stop, clutch their bag and then let you walk past. Ah yes, the power of the 'stache. 
  3. I have to be extra careful in the morning when shaving. I'm already bleary-eyed and half awake so to have to concentrate on the shaving has been annoying. I've almost shaved the thing off because I wasn't paying attention. At this point if I cut it shorter I'd just look like Hitler or Chaplin so I'd have to shave the whole thing off if I mess up. 
The end of Movember looms and I hope we've done our part to raise awareness. I've raised awarness in myself in that me+facial hair results in a stalker/molester/70s kung-fu/generally shady man look that should never be replicated. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment