Saturday, November 14, 2009

I went to Gastrofest and all I got was this.....


awesome opportunity to try the home cooking of my classmates' countries. Great food all around. Because I was busy manning the USA table I wasn't able to try all the different cuisines but those I did eat were spectacular.

Gastrofest winners with my commentary as follows:
Judge's choice: Japanese Traditional (sushi)
Honestly I didn't think they deserved to win. It was just sushi. I hate to go against my people but sushi isn't that difficult to make and it's not really cooking. A trained monkey can cook some rice and put some toppings on it. A trained monkey cannot bake a meatloaf or make Korean bbq or Indian curry. Although it can ride a Segway.

 

People's choice: Indian.
No complaints with this choice. I personally love Indian food and the amazing colon cleansing affect it has at times.

Best presentation: Mexico
Mexico decided to pull out all the stereotypes of Mexico and busted out the panchos, moustaches and sombreros. Their portrayal of the stereotypical Mexican was impressive and most likely only allowed because they were Mexicans. Viva Mexico.

Bestdrink: Peru (Pisco Sour)
The last time I drank Pisco Sour I was in Cuzco with major altitude sickness. Don't mix alcohol with 3,300 m (11,000 ft) elevation. I may have thrown up on a llama or it may have been a shag carpet.  Don't quite remember. Good times.

All in all a great time. It was Gastrotastic! I'm saddened that I can't use these Gastro terms for another year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment