Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cava me up.

The Asian consortium representing Japan, Taiwan, Korea and honorary member Turkey headed out to Freixenet to check out their cava winery tour. Ready to submerge yourself in a world of bubbles? You think that was my typical corniness but, not this time. Freixenet has topped me in this instance. You win this time Freixenet. This time...

On to the pictorial tour!



A trip isn't complete unless there's at least one instance of trying to decipher the, at times, cryptic Renfe destination points.














Just in case you weren't sure where it was, a nice arrow guided you to the entrance. Oh don't mind the giant Freixenet labelled building that's about 50 meters from this sign. I feel like I'm in America.

In front of the Freixenet building there were a variety of odd vehicles parked out in front.















What's that white thing on the back of the scooter?














Okay I understand this being written in Catalan, Spanish and English but why German? Are the Germans extra rowdy and troublemakers? Why not French? Do the French avoid cava because it's a bastardization of their holy nectar, Champagne? Don't get it. 














The entrance.


















Old school Freixenet ad. I wish I was part of that marketing team. 

Marketer 1: Hey we need a new ad to promote our cava.
Marketer 2: How about a picture of some beautiful people popping open Freixenet cava at a party?
Marketer 1: That sounds great but we need something more exciting. Something that distinguishes Freixenet as the leading cava brand. 
Marketer 2: I got it! A picture of a child holding a Freixenet bottle. 
Marketer 3: Wouldn't that associate cava with underage drinking or little boys?
Marketer 2:  No, it's brilliant. Trust me. 


















Freixenet Cava bottle lamp. I need to buy this for my apartment. It just exudes class. The ladies lady would love it. 


















I was going to take a picture where I strategically position my hips at the base of the bottle but I decided not to when I realized that I turn 30 this year and such actions are not indicative of an adult. Just kidding. I took said picture. 














Ticket and welcome card. The tour started with a 10 minute video introducing us to Freixenet and then it was off to the cava caves. Cava does not mean cave in Spanish. Actually, it is a Greek term typically used to refer to high end table wine. In Latin it does mean cave so I guess in the end it kinda does mean cave. Confused yet? Here.Cava


















A device used in the production of cava prior to the complete mechanization of the process.





















More talk about the old school production process. Basically everything was done by hand and it took a lot of work.














How drunk do you want to get?


















Apparently for F1 and other moto celebrations they use the Rehoboam size. 


















Don't know when they'd ever use the 15L bottle. Giants? 


















Our "train" tour through the current production facility.













When I saw this all I could think about was our Operations class. Do they follow lean manufacturing? The 6 S's? I momentarily thought Operations was pretty neat. Momentarily. 


















Now this is what I came for. Cava tasting. Today's selection was the Cordon Negro Reserve Brut. 


















I should try to enjoy this cava and note the hints of fresh citrus, crisp green apple and some lemon. 


















Oops. Drank it in two gulps. 














Freixenet also makes this special white wine for sushi. White wine and sushi. The combination makes sense because white wine and seafood go well together but still kinda doesn't make sense. Like Hawaiian Pizza. Pineapple with ham? Ugh. 


















The hallway leading to the exit basically laid out a history of drunkenness.


Egyptians getting their drink on. Buzzed-walk like an Egyptian. 


















Greeks getting liquored up before they go invent geometry and Corinthian columns. 


















Romans doing their thing. Drinking and eating. Ah, Roman gluttony. 


















The original homebrew masters, Belgium monks. 


















The Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria and the often forgotten ship, Alcoholica. 


















The conquistadors conquistaing some liquor. 


















Victorian alcoholism. Nothing like some industrial revolution and wine. 

And that's it folks. That post was too long and I'm beat. Time to get my own drink on. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, really liked the history of drunkeness.

    ReplyDelete