Sunday, September 6, 2009

Trip to IKEA

Although my apartment is fully furnished it was still missing certain items that I figured would be helpful in turning this place from a dorm-like residence to a home. So with that in mind, I decided to trek over to the IKEAin L'Hospitalet. The always useful TMB website told me that it would only take me 2 transfers and about 27 minutes to get there. This being Spain I added another 30 minutes to that. 

Now I haven't had the chance to take some pictures of my neighborhood so I thought why not take some on the way to IKEA.

To be honest I have no idea what these buildings are for. Commercial, residential, public? Who knows. It just looks cool.
Plaza de Lesseps. This giant intersection is where Carrer Gran Via de Gracia and Ronda General Mitre cross. The odd/interesting thing about this intersection is that there are these public art installations interspersed throughout the intersection. It creates this very Barcelona mixture of modern and old. It's kinda like your grandma teaching you how to hack your iPhone, slightly jarring but at the same time very cool.

The Lesseps train station.

The inside of a metro station. I've been to a good number of subways, tubes, underground, metros, 地下鉄 (for you japanese folks) but Barcelona may have one of the nicest metros around. It sure smells a lot better than the good ole NYC transit system and it actually works compared to the Los Angeles subway lines. You know I take that back. I won't even consider the LA subway lines as real subway lines. After something like 10 billion dollars spent it still blows.
I didn't take a picture of IKEA because well its exactly the same as any other IKEA. Bunch of Spaniards and other non-Swedes confused as to what the difference between the Swomming and the Dvala sheets were. I'm not dissing the Swedish language but it is kinda difficult to try to explain to the Spanish employee in Spanish that I was looking for the JaalTrend or whatever and not the JaalTrak. It's like I'm double translating myself, if that's even a word.
Anyways, total tally for the IKEA trip was a new set of sheets, a really thin duvet, a bunch of hangars, a ladle and some other household items. All for the graduate student financial pain inducing price of 48 euros.

1 comment:

  1. nice pics! I'm glad you're doing well out there. I'm jealous that your spanish is going to be so much better than mine.

    ReplyDelete