Monday, September 28, 2009

La Merce Festival

"La Mercè is the "most important festival" of Barcelona. It has been an official city holiday since 1871, when the local government first organized a program of special activities to observe the Roman Catholic feast day of Our Lady of Mercy." (Wikipedia)

So basically La Merce is just another excuse for the people of Barcelona to have fun and revel in the festive events. Can't blame them. La Merce was a pretty spectacular festival. I didn't get to see all of the events going on but the ones I did were awesome. Pictures below:

The La Merce Parade. It's basically a bunch of ginormous statues being carried by some poor guy. That giant one was carried by a very sweaty Catalan.

I don't know the cultural or historical important of this but it's a pigeon with boobs. I am hoping someone can explain to me why or how this ever came about. It just doesn't make sense to me but neither does the following event.
















That is not a bomb going off in the crowd it is the impending doom brought about by the kind participants of the Correfoc aka Dragon Fire Run aka Why I almost got 1st degree burns. Basically it's firecrackers being shot into the crowd.

















It's raining hot freaking fire. And just in case getting firebombed for about an hour wasn't enough for you there were real fireworks down by Barceloneta.


Sunday night marked the end of La Merce and the end of the biggest festival in Barcelona. I think my jeans still mess of gunpowder.




No comments:

Post a Comment