Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Update

Was a fairly relaxing weekend for me. To kick start the weekend I met up with some out of town guests Friday night for some tapas and beer in Barceloneta. You know I love tapas and definitely do enjoy the beer but I'm pretty sure that 18 months from now I will be sick and tired of eating Spanish tapas.

To generalize tapas it is typically Meat/Vegetable with varying amounts of olive oil from Exxon/Valdez style oil spill to just plain greasy. Varying rations of garlic and salt is generally added to that mixture resulting in a gooey, salty, smelly mess that tricks your taste buds into thinking that what you are eating is actually quite delicious.

On Saturday I went grocery shopping at Caprabo and came across this wonderful looking thing.



When I saw this the only thing I could think of was this cinematic masterpiece.



I mean imagine how boring Night of the Living Dead would've been if they could just throw pig brains at them. Instead of the horrible massacre of human life at the hands of the living dead, we'd be stuck with zombies chilling out at the supermarket eating some pig brains.

*edit: according to my esteemed classmate, zombies only eat the brains of the living and do not feed on the dead so feeding them pig brains would do nothing*

Sunday night was another movie night for me. This time around watched Malditos Bastardos or Inglorious Basterds as it is known in English speaking territories.



My Spanish reading comprehension skills were put to the test as dialogue that was in Italian, French of German was subtitled in Spanish. It throws you off a bit when you hear German, read Spanish and translate it in your head in English. Definitely enjoyed the movie and especially liked the Christopher Waltz as Colonel Landa. You gotta give props to a guy who can act in German, English, French and Italian with barely a hint of an accent in either language. I'd say he's a shoe-in for an Oscar nomination. A classmate of mine forwarded me this article about him. New York Times Article: Christopher Waltz

And finally, I just wanted to share a link to my friend's beer blog. He's been homebrewing for some time now and his blog offers some cool news and links about everything related to beer and brewing your own batch. www.overcarbed.com Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment