Sunday, October 18, 2009

O Canada! Our home and native land!

So I'm an American. Born and raised in the US of A. Any American, yours truly included,  will tell you that Thanksgiving is one of THE biggest holidays in America. It combines all the best aspects of America into one day. Ridiculous amounts of food, football and family squabbling.

The Americans in the ESADE MBA program have already started planning our Thanksgiving feast here in Barcelona and I've been looking forward to spending the day overdosing on tryptophan and gravy, with a sprinkling of steamed veggies thrown in to even out the nutritional content.

Thanksgiving came early for me this year as I got an invite to the Canadian Thanksgiving. Our neighbors up north give thanks to the bountiful harvest of the year a month earlier than the Yanks due to their colder climate. So as the Canadians love to say it's aboot time for the pictures, eh?


















From what I learned about the Spanish turkey industry, large turkeys are typically grown so that they are ready by November to coincide with American Thanksgiving. Apparently there are enough ex-pats living out here that they cater to that. In any case, being that we are a month away the polloteria had to confirm with the turkey farm to make sure there was a turkey ready for slaughter. An unlucky turkey was and he was sacrificed for our gluttony the day of the feast. The poor girls who prepared the turkey had to chop off it's head, clean out the intestines and de-feather the thing. Gobble gobble.



Oh you sexy turkey with your brown skin. I could eat you up.














Fowl on the play. Illegal vegetable on the turkey. Do you like bad puns? I sure do. 














This was to go with the 4 bottles of wine we consumed even before dinner started. Yeah it was going to be one of those nights.














Stuffing and turkey like a fat kid and cake, a perfect match.


It's feasting time!!!


You don't know how hard I tried to get to at least 5 plates of food but I had to stop at 4 because I was gonna throw up. Plus I needed room for dessert. We (7 Canadians, an American and an Austrian) ended up only getting through half the 9 kilo turkey.

 
It took me a grand total of about 10 seconds to get through this slice of apple pie and 15 seconds to get through the slice of cherry pie. The extra five seconds due to my body needing to grow a second stomach to fit all the food.



Our poor showing in the eating of the turkey allowed for leftovers, which I was more than happy to take home. So thank you to my Canadian classmates. The meal was the best one I've had since I got here. Now I need to convince the Americans that I haven't pledged allegiance to the maple leaf, eh.


1 comment: