Friday, October 23, 2009

Relaxing Friday afternoon

It's Friday. Our course load on Fridays is pretty minimal. We have Career Impact Cycle in the morning and language classes in the afternoon. Being that this is the Friday before our big Career Week our teachers have decided to take it easy on us and really lighten up the intensity of the work.

Thanks to my secondary school education I've managed to be placed in Level 3 Spanish. Our teacher is really awesome and focuses our teaching on getting us to just talk a lot instead of poring over grammar and vocabulary from a textbook. Although our classes are from 2-5 Wednesdays and Fridays I actually look forward to them and my classmates really make it interesting with their quips and varying viewpoints. It's actually kinda funny because it's the only time where girls actually outnumber the guys. 3 guys 6 girls. The topic of conversation, at times, gets steered into more feminine oriented things. We had an interesting session where I learned how to go to a pharmacist and ask for medication to relieve cramps.

Anyways, I digress. Our Spanish teacher told us that we would watch a movie in class. We are all thinking this is great. Kick back. Relax. Watch a nice Spanish movie on a Friday afternoon. Our teacher shows us the DVD. El Orfanato or Orphanage in English. It's apparently won 7 Goyas, which are the Spanish equivalent of the Oscars. So now we're thinking cool, a very well reviewed popular Spanish film about an orphanage. My classmate asks "Is this a scary movie?" Valid question considering the title but the teacher reassures us that its just a mystery movie.














2 hours later I've about wet my pants, one of my classmates had to leave the room because she was so freaked out and the entire class now has horrible images of freaky little orphans. Now I have a wonderful night ahead of me where I'm just waiting for the stupid deformed kid with the sack mask to show up at my door. Muchas gracias profesora. Muchas freaking gracias.

1 comment:

  1. dude, same thing happened to me with this flick. it was categorized as a thriller/mystery. more like intense horror drama. for all the gratuitous violence in american media we still are a bunch of pussies.

    ReplyDelete